On 3/13/06, Trenton Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is there a difference between the two?  I have 2005.1 installed.  As
> I've always understood it, my system will now always be up-to-date, as
> long as I keep updating it.  Is 2006.0 any different than 2005.1 after
> the system has been installed?

No, you're given options while you update with "emerge -uD world", you
can compile GCC 3.4.5 but not use it till you "gcc-config" it. You
download and unpack the latest kernel, but you CHOOSE to compile it
and change versions. If you always choose to upgrade this slotted
packages, you'll always have the latest Gentoo as a whole.

The Gentoom 2006.0 comes with some of this packages already upgraded
to the latest versions, that's the only difference, a install of
2005.1 would have a lot of compiling and upgrading and maybe some
configuration to change between versions, other than that, you'll
always end up with the latest Gentoo on both machines (if you choose
to).

> I'm just curious, because I have to install gentoo on a notebook, but
> I want package compatibility with my server.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil