Does anyone know of a tool for Linux or Windows that will see what is the best channel to use?

I have a desktop (gentoo) and a laptop (XP) on my home network. My wireless router is a D-Link DI-524. The desktop is wired to a port and the laptop is wireless with an Intell Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

I have noticed connection issues when I SSH into my desktop from the laptop. I can connect and after anywhere from 30 seconds to about 3 minutes, the conneciton locks up and then is lost. I thought it was an issue with ssh so I opened up telnet, however I get the same issue. I use the desktop all the time and never notice any issues when I download from the net.

I am wondering if it is a wireless issue? The strange thing is that I am using the laptop now and I cam getting about 4Mbs download fromthe net. However, as soon as I use cygwin or putty to ssh/telnet in to the desktop, the connection gets crappy.

I also noticed the connection issues if I try to use sambe from gentoo to XP.

Thanks,

Jim