On Friday 17 March 2006 23:13, Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
'Re: [gentoo-user] dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso':
> program k9copy didn't work for me and k3b stopped after copying 850Mb
> dmesg showing a lot of errors:
> hdc: media error (bad sector) status=0x51 SeekComplete Error
> hdc: media error (bad sector) status=0x34
>
> It could be that few disks had an error but I get similar error reading
> commercial disk as well.  So much for DVD enjoyment (very unreliable).

I get errors on commercial disks as well.  Some are for copy protection.
Some are just bad sectors than, when playing, the player skips.  (2k is
less than a frame; one bad sector doesn't even cause a skip most of the
time.)  I turn on 128 retrys, and ignore read errors for after that.  I've
never had trouble playing an iso ripped that way.

DVDs absolutely SUCK as a backup solution.  The data density is just too
high for the media.  If you want to back up more than 10G use tape (if you
can ensure a clean environment) or USB/iSCSI/eATA/nfs attached storage.

For pure, unadulterated, bit-by-bit copies, I can only suggest the tool(s)
mentioned earlier in the thread that let you read multiple times, either
from a single drive of multiple different drives (better), and combine
them into a single .iso.

Even dd w/ conv=noerror will give up after some point and write some data
that may (or may not) be correct for that sector.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest