On 3/20/06, Thomas G. Willis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey all, wonder if anyone else is running into this. It just started
> happening after an emerge --sync , emerge --deep- --update world dance.
>
>  For some reason upon rebooting I have to run alsaconf to get sound again.
>
>  Alsa reports no problems on booting up.
>
>  the module snd_intel8x0 is the re in the kernel accorindg to lsmod along
> with all the dependencies.
>
>  alsactl store didn't fix the problem.
>
>  So, I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
>
>  Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>  This is amd64 if that matters.
>

> --
> Thomas G. Willis

Try removing /etc/asound.state and then running alsamixer, or maybe
it's alsactl store - I don't remember. Anyway, asound.state's format
changes quite often from Alsa rev to Alsa rev and then Alsa cannot
start right.

You may also want to do a restart of Alsa by hand
(/etc/init.d/alsasound restart) once you've erased asound.state.

to recreate asound.state you run alsamixer again after restarting Alsa.

Hope this helps,
Mark