[snip...]
> > And yet, believe it or not, I did successfully burn an ISO
> image of the
> > Gentoo Minimal InstallCD (49 MB). It took some effort (same error
> > message) but finally succeeded.

Intermittent problems like this could be either due to hardware (faulty
ribbon) and, or buggy firmware.  If this is a recently developed
behaviour I would suggest that you start by replacing the ribbon.  Using
Knoppix (from the hard drive) and K3B will I guess prove the point.

> Its surely and definitely a software problem (since you can burn CDs),
> and has probably nothing to do with Nero.

Nero has brought a couple of updates out (some of them free) and I would
suggest that the OP downloads and installs them for good measure, if he
hasn't done that already.  Additionally, he should update his firmware
using the relevant OEM downloads page.

> the above, change media (some CDs just don't work), and last, drop
> Nero and try XPBurnerPro, its free, simple and works very well.

Cool! http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php I'll try it out soon.  Also,
you may want to try http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download (the portable
free version).
--