On Mar 21, 2006, at 10:10 AM, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

Pardon, but I'm not clear on this command, apparently.  Coming from
fedora, I could just create a user, change the password, login, and
everything would be set.  However, gentoo doesn't create
/home/user_name ?  No problem, I created that directory.  However,
"startx" as that user gives errors.  I can capture those errors, but
apparently I'm going about this the wrong way. ?

I also tried creating a user from gnome but ran into the same problem.

Right now I'm running as root :(

thanks,

Thufir

if you add the -m argument to useradd, it will create the directory and own it by the user being added.