From: Philip Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Several problems of a newbie
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:53:23 -0500

Hi Philip !

 Thanks a lot again for your help !

> 060322 Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > I installed a vanilla kernel
>
> Gentoo-sources has always worked for me.

  Yes, I never doubt, that gentoo kernels are bad...

  It just a feeling in the area of my stomach not to use patched
  kernel sources...(Paranoid? Me? Why THAT ??? ;)

> > Second problem: I wanted to emerge gnome.
>
> That certainly suggests you have a problem ... (grin)

  (uuuhhh...sorry....dictionary lookup error #7556: NOT FOUND!
  My limited English knowledge only let me guess, what you has
  written: Emerging Gnome IS always a kind of problem ?)

> BTW you don't need to install the whole of KDE or Gnome
> to use packages which depend on them.  You can see lists of packages
> at  http://packages.gentoo.org/  or via the package Kuroo,
> a front-end for Portage which resembles the Mandriva pkg-management tool.

  Ah! Good to know ! Thanks !

> > While emerging, there are messages displayed too fast
> > Is there any logfile of the emerging process written to somewhere ?
>
> add to  /etc/make.conf  the line 'PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/emerge-logs',
> which will store it all in that dir (you can clean it out when you want).

  Great! That is, what I needed!

  Have a nice  day/evening/night/morning!!
  mcc