I think I need to go back to basics here to get out of a hole:

I have move my /usr onto a different machine as part of a migration
exercise, but the partition in question will barely contain it.  Is
there a way of running tar so that:

1. Only part of /usr is untarred in a different partition (all of
/usr/*, except /usr/portage which I want to eventually untar it and keep
it in there).
2. Those directories which are untarred are also removed from the .tgz
file so that there is enough space left behind to untar the /usr/portage
directory.
3. Finally, /usr/portage is now untarred into the said partition and the
 tgz file is deleted thereafter.

Could you please help with the command/piping syntax?
--
Regards,
Mick