Not very far.  ;-) That's why I'm asking for some quick help.  I also
need to add that I was seeking answers to the above questions in the
context of having access only to the new machine and three more
partitions on it, all of which are smaller than the total uncompressed
/usr directory.
--
Regards,
Mick