On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Jochen Schalanda wrote:

From: Jochen Schalanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] autofs, supermount,
    submount... which is best for  Gentoo?
Newsgroups: linux.gentoo.user

On 10/13/2004 11:10 PM, Felix Tiede wrote:

submount is supposed to supersede supermount as supermount is running
in
 kernel-space, while submount is a user-space-tool.

I think that is not quite correct. submount is a kernel module, hence it runs in kernel space. A userspace solution for automounting would be dbus+hal+ivman or gnome-volume-manager.

I tried supermount, submount, and dbus+hal+ivman and at the moment I like submount best since it perfectly fits my needs. But as already said, all the programs (automount, supermount, submount, ivman) have a slightly different featureset, so one should really try them all and decide afterwards which one to choose.

Jochen

Very informative, thanks.  I think I'll go with submount.

-Thufir