Thank you All for your replies.

gentoo_usr.tgz is 3.9G+ and there's nothing else left in /dev/hda2.

> > /dev/hda3 will have the rest of the filesystem
> > (and the remaining /usr directory).
>
> What's on /dev/hda3 now?  How big is it?  What's on /dev/hda1?
> Can't you move the gentoo_usr.tgz to another roomier partition?

There's no other roomier partition which will contain gentoo_usr.tgz as
a single file.

> If I get it right, /dev/hda3 is destined to become your /,
> and /dev/hda2 your /usr/portage.  Have you already upacked the rest
> of / on /dev/hda3?  How about retarring it and untarring it after
> gentoo_usr.tgz?

I'll have a look at doing something like that, although I will not be
able to untar gentoo_usr.tgz into another partition (at 6.4G untarred
there's just not enough space).

> > what I think is needed
> > here is untarring of the archive, while untarred data is
> > dynamically deleted immediately after untarred to make space for
> > more data to be untarred . . . do I make sense?
>
> Yes, but GNU tar cannot do that, it can only do one command at a
> time, either --extract or --delete or ...

Yes, that's why I was hoping that some clever bash-ery may be able to
pipe the lot together.

As I have no access to another machine or network until I get back home,
the helpful link provided may have to wait.  Of course once I get back
home I can only tar the directories I need, one at a time.

Thanks again for your replies.
--
Regards,
Mick