Hello everybody,

I keep casting this fly, hoping for a strike ;0

For a crossover lan. Ping OK. route -n confirms net
setup on *both* machines

iftraf indicates activity on remote machine when ftp
command issued.

adding debug switch returns:

servname not supported for ai_socktype.

googling points to bad /etc/hosts.

here's /etc/hosts from present machine(192.168.0.3):

127.0.0.1       sarawak localhost
192.168.0.2     xlan yeti  #remote pc
# IPV6 versions of localhost and co
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

I think it was after emerging ftp I found the line
starting with 192.168.0.3 on the machine with the
fresh 2.6.15 install followed by 'gravity.twi-31o2.org
gravity'(?!), but that didn't work either.

in /etc/host.conf multi set to on and off. Neither
works.

Is it resolv.conf? But this is 'net stuff. Dynamic
name finding or whatever, isn't it? The NICs are
strictly non-web using static addresses.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain sarawak
nameserver 206.47.244.52
nameserver 67.69.184.7

-Maxim