Sven Köhler wrote:

IMHO, the patch should only include the PCI-Id or something like that -
well, but the patch doesn't seem to be as simple as that.
Do you have a link to the patch? or even a link to the discussion in the
LKML?

The patched ahci.c is for example here:
http://grivell.home.comcast.net/ahci.c
Someone with nick "CodeRedLin" modified ahci.c with via patch...

Instead of standard ahci.c which comes with 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 sources
I used this modified one, and it really works! Suddenly both my sata
drives are detected. hdparm -t /dev/sda (sdb) gives me very nice
65 MB/s, and that is while I'm doing raid1-resync!

But he (author) says this patched ahci.c will probably not work
with 2.6.16 :-(

There is another patch for sata_via.c :
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/paulrbarber/sata_via_20060221.c
I did not test it, as that modified ahci.c worked for me.
BTW, I'm not sure what is better to use: ahci.c, or sata_via.c?

I have found a very good discussion about vt8521 & linux here:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=68455&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
(all in one line)

Jarry