On Monday 27 March 2006 19:20, JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] chroot':
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:55:46 -0600
>
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How much RAM do you have?  <4G, you might just go with a full 32-bit
> > userland and only a 64-bit kernel.
>
> I have 2G.  Couldn't I do 32-bit userland and 32-bit kernel?

Yes, that's an option to, although with more than ~768K of ram it's not
ideal.

> The
> reason for a 32-bit kernel is because I need to compile the Nortel VPN
> client and it is binary only crap and has 32-bit only binary modules.

Well, that'll force a 32-bit kernel; do none of the open-source solutions
for VPN-ing work?  Have you tried them?  I was able to get VPN-ing to a
Cisco router working even when I was told it just wouldn't work.

> Out of curiosity, how would I do a 32-bit userland with 64-bit kernel?
> Would I just change CHOST to x86_64 when I compile the kernel?

emerge crossdev
crossdev -s2 -t x86_64
make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest