Lord Sauron wrote:

>On 3/27/06, Teresa and Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>Extremely clever.  I'll have to remeber cool tricks like that when I'm
>working with my own server...

You can never know to much.  That's for sure.  I know I haven't had that
trouble yet on my end.  o_O

>Yeah, but I've been using the "make install" command, so I'm not
>totally sure if what I'm doing is even effective.

I always copy mine by hand.  That way I know it is there and what it is
named.  Make SURE to mount /boot before you copy that.  If you installed
as the manual says, /boot is not auto mounted at boot up.  mount /boot
should work.

>>That means you have to add it to the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
>>file for it to load the module when it boots.  This is what my file
>>looks like:
>>

>So I'd add something like
>

>>acpi
>>

>?
>

>  Linux Kernel v2.6.14-gentoo-r5 Configuration
>
> ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
>   ┌───────────────────────── IBM ThinkPad Laptop Extras
> ──────────────────────────┐
>   │
> CONFIG_ACPI_IBM:
> │
>
> │
>
> │
>   │ This is a Linux ACPI driver for the IBM ThinkPad laptops. It
> adds             │
>   │ support for Fn-Fx key combinations, Bluetooth control,
> video                  │
>   │ output switching, ThinkLight control, UltraBay eject and
> more.                │
>   │ For more information about this driver see
> <file:Documentation/ibm-acpi.txt>  │
>   │ and <http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/>
> .                                               │
>
> │
>
> │
>   │ If you have an IBM ThinkPad laptop, say Y or M
> here.                          │
>
> │
>
> │
>   │ Symbol: ACPI_IBM
> [=y]                                                         │
>   │ Prompt: IBM ThinkPad Laptop
> Extras                                            │
>   │   Defined at
> drivers/acpi/Kconfig:197                                         │
>   │   Depends on: !X86_VOYAGER && !X86_VISWS && !IA64_HP_SIM && (IA64
> || X86) &&  │
>   │
> Location:
> │
>   │     -> Power management options (ACPI,
> APM)                                   │
>   │       -> ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
> Support            │
>   │         -> ACPI Support (ACPI
> [=y])                                           │

That is the help screen.  I THINK the module will be called ACPI_IBM.
Someone correct me if I am wrong though.  I think you take off the
CONFIG_ part.  It may also need to be lowercase.  Keep in mind that case
does matter in Linux.  Let someone chime in on that one though.

>>I guess I do still have my sensors as modules.  Anyway, nvidia has to be
>>a module.  You will see them when they load up.
>>

>Yeah, nVidia supplies proprietary closed-source drivers, don't they?

Yes they do.  They do work pretty good though.  At least they try.  Some
video card people don't even do that.

Later

Dale