A few days ago, I asked how to do it.  I stumbled across the answer
whilst browsing Google on an entirely different topic.  The answer is to
add the parameters "noexec=on" and "noexec32=on" to the boot line.  I've
added it via "append" lines in /etc/lilo.conf

#
# Linux bootable partition config begins
#
image = /boot/kernel-2.6-production
        root = /dev/sda1
        label = Production
        read-only # read-only for checking
        append = "noexec=on noexec32=on"

image = /boot/kernel-2.6-experimental
        root = /dev/sda1
        label = Experimental
        read-only # read-only for checking
        append = "noexec=on noexec32=on"

#
# Linux bootable partition config ends
#

  And now for the unrelated part, and the warning.  I was reading up on
GRUB, in case I decide to go 64-bit mode in the near future.  Apparently,
GRUB will *NOT* install if noexec/noexec32 are enabled.  You have to
turn them off before installing GRUB.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca