> Well... what is wrong?
> I think that putting the interface in the "up" state on boot is wrong,
> but perhaps removing net.eth0 from the default runlevel is not, even
> if there is a cable plugged in.

Saying AUTO=yes in /etc/conf.d/ifplugd is one way to keep the interface
up - and at least for now, it's my preferred way.
I don't see, why should write "dirty" hacks like the postdown()-thing in
/etc/conf.d/net to keep the interface up.

> I mean that net.eth0 is executed by /etc/iflugd/ifplugd.action.

Yes, it is. And if a start ifplugd on boot, and if it puts the interface
in "up" state, and if it then executes "net.eth0 start", then i can't
think of anything that should be wrong about it.