On Wednesday 05 April 2006 12:56, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> meetoo!  I've noticed it helps with cpu allocation, but not with the
> disk.  If you're emerging something like sources, or openoffice, portage
> still gets too much disk "time" and other processes suffer.  nice
> doesn't seem to affect disk access.

This is surely very dependant on you specific hardware and kernel
configuration. There are some systems that just dont 'multitask' very
effectively. Also, sounds like you have either an older HDD or your
motherboard is struggling to keep up with the I/O requirements of compiling.
Remeber that compiling is non-trivial work for *any* system.

Also check that your kernel is making full use of any features available on
you system such as SMP or Hyperthreading etc. As a point of comparison, I'm
running a P4 2.6 on an IS7 motherboard with SATA disks, and only under the
heaviest compilations, for short periods of time do I notice any slowdowns.

--
About the only thing on a farm that has an easy time is the dog.