On Apr 6, 2006, at 4:36 PM, Mick wrote:

On 06/04/06, evader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

netstat -rn

Your default gateway is likely to be the proxy.

Sorry guys, I should have explained better:

These WinXP desktops have been locked down beyond belief!  Most
commands have been removed from \\WINDOWS\sys32.  What's left is
totally restricted for plain users (which is what I am on this
network).  Running ipconfig /all, or netstat requires a command prompt
which is not available on these machines (I know that because I used
BartsPE and Knoppix to 'look around').  They are just locked down thin
clients with M$Office on them.

Running any network commands on Linux does not show the proxy address
- I wouldn't expect it to since I don't know what it is to export it
in the system env.  The default gateway which is shown is not the
Internet proxy (already checked that).  I assume that the default
gateway is the router for all the desktops on that floor.  The
printers are on a different router.

Pointing a browser to checkip returns the external (as in Internet) IP
address, not the internal (as in LAN) IP address which is what I am
after.  To be exact, it doesn't return anything.  The proxy blacklist
blocks the address along with many more 'network diagnostic' IP
addresses.  But I was able to find out anyway by visiting my server
and checking the logs.

It's really so frustrating.  Anything else I may be able to try?
Would something like ntop do the trick or will it just pick up all the
other hundreds of routers and switches in the corporate LAN?  (I can't
remember if Knoppix has ntop).

they locked the desktops down, but still let you boot from a cd? how moronic. you're probably dealing with a transparent proxy. the default router you see probably has a rule that says "all traffic for port 80 or 443 from this subnet, redirect over here". your box would never see that router, because by definitions, routes are one-hop only. a traceroute might find it, but unless they gave it an ip that resolves locally to "transparent proxy" or something, how would you know? that's kinda the whole point of transparent proxies.