Bob Bao wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am a new gentoo user here. I downloaded gentoo 2.6 liveCD from gentoo
> website. After couple time trying, finally I successfully complete the
> installing. But,  after log in, I only get a xterm window and a session
> window. I think suppose I should get a graphic user interface like boot

Hi Bob and welcome to Gentoo,
        Which graphic desktop you have installed? If its plain X server
(i.e., xorg-x11) then you'll get a very basic desktop, which you
obviously dont want. If you installed kde, then probaby you've not
modified your .xinitrc file. Execute this command from from console,

        echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc

next time you execute 'startx', kde will startup.

for GNOME, execute this command first

        echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc

then startx will bring gnome up. For more info on other desktop's
checkout the Gentoo docs at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml

Hope this helps,
Farhan Ahmed

--
Place           :  Bangalore, Karnataka, India
GPG Key         :  8BE90E98