Well, I upgraded to Xorg 7 using the "modular Xorg" howto on the gentoo-wiki
forums becuase I was told that this version would have support for DRI and
GLX on the savage chipset (for my thinkpad).

Well, installed and everything seems to work except GLX/DRI.

if I run glxinfo, i get:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
OpenGL vendor string: S3 Graphics Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI SuperSavage 20050829 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 6.5
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,
    GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
    GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint,
    GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_convolution, GL_EXT_copy_texture,
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_histogram, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
    GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture,
    GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_object,
    GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip,
    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_MESA_window_pos,
    GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_OES_read_format,
    GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp,
    GL_SGIS_texture_lod
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
wait event returned -16

So its looking good (definatly better then before). DRI is enabled, but I am
getting a hard PC lockup (for about a second, with glxinfo saying "wait event
returned -16").

Also happens when trying to run glxgears. I get a lockup for a few seconds,
followed by the same error "wait event returned -16"

does anyone know what the problem might be?I feel as if I am tantilisingly
close to it, but I need some help as well =)

Has anyone successfully got DRI working? (running on thinkpad T23 with 512ram,
gentoo kernel 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 with a "S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev 05)"
graphics card)

Cheers