On Wed, 3 May 2006, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

Putting something in the background doesn't change what it's std(in|out|
err) are attached to.  They will still go to the [pt]ty like normal.  If
Right, my mistake. Still, the parent script will exit sucessfuly, and
then how can the backgrounded process be controlled, other than by
killing it with kill -TERM or something like that?
you *want* then redirected somewhere else, you are free to do so with
standard redirection operations before the ampersand.
I don't want redirection. Multilog will grasp stdout, but only of the
parent process (I think); once the latter exits, I don't think the other
process will be accessible.

Thanks,

Jorge Almeida