Glenn Enright wrote:
> Nvidia dont release the source for this driver, which makes it difficult for
> others to patch it, even if they new how the card internals worked ;).
As far as I understand, the binary driver itself is not patched. The
patching concerns the way it is integrated into your system (e.g.
symbols and certain function calls, of course kernel related stuff) --
and there are source files for that. That's what is being compiled by
emerge. The problem with the function/symbol pci_find_class has occured
before with an older version of nvidia-kernel and was patched
successfully. So, I guess it's just a matter of time and patching
experience.

But because of the reasons Richard wrote/summarized, it's not looking
very good :-/

> Does the xorg nv driver do what you need?
Fortunately yes. I can start X an do all 2D-things. For the time being
I'll have to live with that.

So, I guess my search for some help has come to a dead end. Thank you
for all your suggestions and information. Let's hope for better Nvidia
support in the future.

Sigi