I have a similar problem to Matthias. /etc/init.d/net.eth0 no longer
returns, so spamd, sendmail, saslauthd, etc. never start up. It used to
work...  In my case, the interface is up, but `/etc/init.d/net.eth0
status' says "starting". If I try to start, say, sendmail, it says

    WARNING:  sendmail is scheduled to start when net.eth0 has started.

and it never starts. Something has changed in the last couple of weeks,
and I don't know what it is. I'm using hotplug.

Thanks for any help.

--- Vladimir

Gentoo 2.6.16-r6, fully updated.

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:19 -0600, Hani Duwaik wrote:

> On 5/4/06, Matthias Bethke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         I just noticed a strange problem on our server that's just
>         been switched
>         to Gentoo:
>         It's running dhcpd, which init starts right after bringing up
>         the
>         network interface. But dhcpd quits, complaining it couldn't
>         listen on
>         eth0 because it had address 0.0.0.0. So it seems the interface
>         isn't
>         fully up yet when the init script returns---probably because
>         the
>         Broadcom Tigon driver seems to be on the slow side when
>         changing
>         parameters, while the CPU is plenty fast. I've now tried to
>         fix it with
>         a postup() function that simply does a "sleep 3", but that's
>         pretty
>         hacky IMHO. Isn't thatere a way to do it properly? I think the
>         script
>         should ensure its jobs are finished before it returns in any
>         case.
>
> Have you looked through the '/etc/conf.d/net.example' file?  I'm not
> too familiar with DHCP, but the net.example file has this entry:

> # For passing custom options to dhcpcd use something like the
> following. This
>
> # example reduces the timeout for retrieving an address from 60
> seconds (the
>
> # default) to 10 seconds.
>
> #dhcpcd_eth0="-t 10"

> Not sure if it will help, but maybe increasing the wait time might
> work.
>
> -Hani
> --
> "If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it
> will become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."

Vladimir G. Ivanovic
Palo Alto, CA 94306
+1 650 678 8014