On Friday, May 5 2006 23:22, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Does anyone really know what the difference is? I originally used the
> ebuilds because I could only assume that they will be more up to date.
> But now I realize that new kernels come out pretty quick so I don't
> think this is the case. Anyone have insight?

The ebuilds are more up to date. The in-kernel ipw2200 (as of 2.6.16) is based
on version 1.0.8. kernel 2.6.17 features an even newer version. Using the
ebuild means that you must remove ieee80211 from the kernel, which from what
i understand means that you can no longer use any of the other wireless
drivers which require it in the kernel.

--
Raymond Lewis Rebbeck