On Friday 05 May 2006 16:06, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 5 May 2006 18:49:29 +0530 Farhan Ahmed
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > The difference is: with -j2 box is slow. A lot of packages do not
> > > compile because of ooms.
> > >
> > > with -j1 box is normal. No ooms. Compiling does not take longer as
> > > with -j2.
> >
> > This is the first time I'm hearing this.. Even with -j2 my system
> > functions normally.. Has anyone encountered same problem?
>
> Not really. GCC does eat some memory, but it's not that worse. Well,
> this does absolutely depend on RAM+Swap. Whenever I had oom conditions
> in the past 4 years, that was because of a leaky, long-running
> application. I've yet to see a gcc process that claims 100MB of
> physical memory. I did see Apache eat such an amount of mem after
> running some days and calling leaky skripts (integrated as a module, of
> course).

on AMD64 compiling kdepim or wesnoth, there are structures created, that takes
700mb and more. And this is not even swappable.

So with 1gig of ram, you can run into ooms.

I had enough of them. Even on a fresh booted system with nothing running than
the emerge process. That has nothing to do with flaky applications, just much
ram needed by gcc.