Hello Daniel,

It now plays in all three players, the mplayer its self play very slow
and gives issues so I am geting rid of it as it also IS not
accessibile and if there is any one out there that is using it with a
screenreader please come forth.

So far xine plays both audio and dvds fine it appears.

I can not get the totem to play audio cds or play with out being flaky
please see totem posting.

By the way I emerged latest versions of gst-plugins-base and that is
what seems to get them to work to the degree it is.

Now how do I get xine to play the stuff automatic I guess I will push
my luck LOL?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Christopher

On 5/5/06, Daniel da Veiga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/5/06, Christopher E <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > mplayer dvd://
> > > what is this and where do I do this?
> > From any console/terminal you just type it...
>
> OK when I do this, I am able to play DVDs in xine, mplayer, totem!
> mplayer dvd://
> totem dvd://
> xine dvd://

Well, configuration, there's nothing wrong with your machine, you must
understand that you don't point the mplayer or whatever software to
the location of the mounted device or to the files, you specify a
DEVICE file under /dev to be able to play CDs and DVDs. So, in the
configuration of the specific program (that seems right because you
can use the URL dvd://) you set the device (usually /dev/dvd or
/dev/cdrom YMMV) and it access the file (device) directly.

> > Well, I don't know much of gnome/had/dbus/automounter etc, but right
> > now I would be happy if you were able to use those apps to lauch audio
> > and DVDs.
>
> OK, as mentioned above I can with the command line NOT through open
> using the program its self

Well, I'm at work now, let me get home and take a look at the programs
so I can try and figure out why you can't play. Its probably just
configuration, you may be lucky checking the man pages for the program
you want to use or the info pages, even google.

> > Ok, let me gather some more info. When you play it with xine you see
> > no errors right? When trying to play it with xmms or mplayer, what you
> > get? Does the timer goes as it is playing and no sound, does it
> > freezes, it simply do nothing?
>
> when playing it in cd player (gnomes default) I get the metadata and
> then click play its button changes then it goes back to the play
> button as if there was no music on the cd

Seems a problem with the cd player. Try a command-line app very simple
like "dcd" (emerge dcd, then dcd -r)

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil