On Friday 05 May 2006 13:55, "Walter Dnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?':
>   2) You will *NOT* get bug-support here or in bugzilla.gentoo.org for
>      packages marked as ~arch

That is absolutely untrue.  I run ~amd64 and I've never had trouble getting
support on this list or b.g.o.  In fact, the purpose of providing ~ARCH is
to elicit bug reports; if a package is ~ARCH for 90 days w/o a bug report,
it moves to ARCH. ~ARCH is mostly *testing* with just a dash of unstable
thrown in.

Now, a lot of the time the suggested way to fix your system is to mask the
~ARCH ebuilds of a package that's causing problems (after you file a bug).
That's natural.  You've found a bug that will be fixed in the future, but
for now you'll need to stop using the buggy software.  Makes sense, yes?

[Of course, as part of bug diagnosis, you might be asked to continue
running the ~ARCH package so you can test.]

What you won't find support for is ebuilds from outside the portage tree or
masked ebuilds that you've unmasked.  (Masked ebuilds are known to be
broken OR are being tested by the developers and they aren't interested in
user bugs yet -- probably because just their small group finds enough
bugs.)

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest