On Sunday 23 April 2006 03:00 Neil Bothwick was like:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 23:05:37 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   Howsabout using FAT32 (aka vfat) for the data partitions that need to
> > be accessed by both Windows and Linux?  Both Windows and Linux can read
> > and write easily to vfat.
>
> FAT has a 4GB file size limit under Windows, 2GB under Linux, which makes
> it unsuitable for most multimedia usage.

Thanks very much Neil and Walter for your advice.

I think Neil is right about fat32. It also has other problems such as lack of
permissions or journaling, as well as performance issues. However it is
certainly the simplest way of sharing a partition between operating systems.

I have installed rfsd in windows. It seems to work very well, but, unless I
have missed something, it is a read-only driver. That can actually be useful
if you want to access stuff from within windows without putting it at risk of
virus damage. If I also mount my windows installation using the (read-only)
ntfs driver under linux, then I have a way to share files in both directions,
albeit not an ideal one. (I have considered using captive-ntfs for full r/w
access, but I find the windows permissions don't work under linux, as far as
I can tell.)

I'll get around to trying out crossmeta for xfs read/write at some point soon
and let you all know how it goes.

Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...