On 5/9/06, Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Daniel da Veiga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> You don't need the audio-cable to hear music from a cd - just the right
>> application ;)
>
> Oh yeah, you really don`t need the cable, it just makes things easier,
> because it will work with all applications, won`t send data using the
> system bus neither process it using the CPU, the CD drive will do all
> the work and send output directly to the soundcard, the volume manager
> of the soundcard with the "CD audio" label will work and some other
> benefits.
>
> But that`s just me. I want my hardware to do the stuff it should.

With a cable, you will (at least with some/most sound cards) have a
digital-analog conversion in the drive, an analog-digital conversion in
the sound card, and another digital-analog conversion on output from the
sound card.

With digital extraction you will just have the last digital-analog
conversion. Guess what sounds best.

A third option: most drives have a digital output connector, and most
sound cards have a digital input connector.
--

Wrong. Sound is by nature analog. The soundcard does nothing, as the
CD drive reads the digital audio and the DAC of the CD drive itself

Check it:
http://img.tfd.com/cde/DIGAUDEX.GIF

If you get the data digitally, you CD drive sends it directly, over
the system bus/digital cable, and your CPU/Soundcard PU must convert
it to analog audio (because your speakers still can't do it (at least
mine), with most modern boards and on-board audio cards, the soundcard
uses the CPU, so, yes, it uses a few cycles. I really don't care how
much, all I can say is that there's one more Interruption Request, and
I like my FPS at top.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil