Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On 09 May 2006 15:40, glen martin wrote:
>
>> This isn't the case of subscribing through work and sending from home or
>> whatever. In both cases I sent from home, indeed from the same account
>> in the same mail client. Only the path the message took to
>> list.gentoo.org changed.
>>
>> I hadn't posted to this for quite a while until recently. When I did so
>> again a few days ago, the message hung up in my outgoing queue and I got
>> this message in the log:
>>
>> May  7 16:09:56 texada postfix/smtp[23864]: 7D46150B55:
>> to=<gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>,
>> relay=lists.gentoo.org[140.105.134.102], delay=15242, status=deferred
>> (host lists.gentoo.org[140.105.134.102] said: 421 4.4.1 collect: read
>> timeout on connection from m198-163.dsl.rawbw.com,
>> from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (in reply to end of DATA command))
>>
> Many MTAs refuse to relay messages from dial-up or DSL connections - and
> rightly so. Just use your ISP's SMTP server as a smarthost.

I should certainly expect that for a relay, in which I address a message
to a name not only the MX, but does a mailing list count as a relay?
Certainly this is the only mailing list I've encountered to-date with
such a restriction, and I participate in several. And while I totally
get this for dial-up, my DSL has a static IP - I've had this number
longer than many companies in this post-dot-bomb world.

Indeed I can use my ISP as a smarthost, and in fact am currently doing
so out of necessity. It just bothers me. Privacy is not enhanced by
having my mail sitting on servers neither I nor the recipient control,
and while I don't want any particular privacy for messages to this list,
sending all my mail through the smarthost seems wrong.

Per-destination smarthost? Blech. :)

I apologise if I sound grumpy about this issue, and do thank you for the
response.

glen