On May 10, 2006, at 4:48 PM, ted leslie wrote:

Feed up with a few other distros, i am giving GENTOO another look.
I tried it when it first came out and had .. hmmm. .... a bit of trouble.
I assume things are alot more refined now.

I am looking for a distro to base a LIVE DVD (or CD) from,

Can anyone comment on how good GENTOO LIVE CD is on device detection,
in particular Network cards, USB, and to a lesser extent graphics/ monitors.
I haven't tested live cds extensively, but i have a fairly odd box here, amd64 with a broadcomm gig-e adapter and an nvidia gig-e adapter, no sound card, ati rage xl video onboard. I also have an ibm netfinity 5100 and a dell laptop, all running gentoo. all devices available at the live cd. However.... i did find quite a bit of problems with the amd64 with a 3ware 8000 series sata raid controller. I ended up having to install ubuntu 64-bit on a small partition and use that to install gentoo. wasn't too happy about that. But that is the ONLY device non-starter on all the hardware i've thrown at gentoo. Now, i'm not really using the livecd...just for install purposes... But I must say, knoppix was every bit as good on the same hardware...except for sound on the inspiron 1100 laptop.