On Thursday 11 May 2006 16:46, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo ADSL wireless router (3 questions)':
> The instructions are all on CD.  I reviewed them again and it's just
> "plug in the power cord, plug in the ethernet cable, plug in the phone
> cord" stuff.  I'm completely sure it's just a DSL modem.

If that's all you have to do, it's definitely a "router".  It's a rather
trivial one, since it just translates packets from one side to the other
and does some minor bookkeeping, but it's a router.  A xDSL modem would
require authentication to be set up.

In your case, all you need to do is configure your Gentoo system for DHCP.
You might want to use a longer timeout though.  It can take a little while
for the xDSL router to negotiate the connection.

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml

This document is for setting up a Gentoo box to /be/ a router, IIRC.  If
that's the case, it's not something you need for now.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest