On Thursday 11 May 2006 19:51, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> What can I use for a compressed file system?  I am looking at setting up
> a loopback mounted filesystem that I want to use to store backups into.
> Compression is needed as space will become a limitation in the future (I
> want to do a whole system backup that so far is 2:1 compressed via
> tar.bzip2.  I am thinking of using dirvish into a compressed loopback
> mount - but how do I set up a compressed fs?
Have you tried reiserfs?  As long as it is NOT mounted with the "notail"
option it can sometimes save 50% on space compared to ext3/jfs/xfs depending
on your usage.

There is also a possiblility of using LVM2 snapshots also if you have LVM2
devices already set up.  I'm not sure how dirvish is for backup and I'm not
sure how good a loopback backup to a file really is anyway.  That depends on
the consistency of at least a partition anyway.  Maybe you are trying to
solve the wrong problem?

--
Zac Slade
[EMAIL PROTECTED]