On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 12:33 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 18:02 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > I'll forward your advice to my wife.  We have both Gnome and KDE
> > installed, but we usually use Gnome...
>
> If you usually use gnome, then try xscreensaver (with < gnome-2.14) or
> gnome-screensaver (with >=gnome-2.14).  gnome-screensaver still needs a
> bit of work.
>
> xscreensaver:
> 1. change "random screen saver" to "only one screen saver"
> 2. choose GLSlideshow, VidWhacker, XTeeVee, Zoom, or any of the other
> image based screensavers (trial and error :)
> 3. go to the "Advanced" tab, and select "Choose Random Image"
> 4. enter the directory to your images.
>
> gnome-screensaver:
> 1. Choose "pictures folder"
> 2. make a symlink to your picture folder:
> $ ln -s /path/to/photos ~/Pictures
>
> and you're done!
>
> If you feel game, you can convert some of the xscreensaver hacks
> (/usr/share/xscreensaver/config/) to gnome-screensaver xml files
> (/usr/share/gnome-screensaver/themes/).  Post them back if you do so!
>
> HTH,
> --
> Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
>
> Women sometimes forgive a man who forces the opportunity, but never a man
> who misses one.
>               -- Charles De Talleyrand-Perigord

My wife tried GLSlideshow and she says it's exactly what she wanted.
She's been on the the phone several times today with her mother (as she
does almost every day), and it frequently comes up in the conversation
how much she likes her new screen saver.  Now she's going to want me to
find a way to get her mother a similar screensaver, but her mother uses
Windows ME and she knows that I don't do Windows.  Thanks for your help!
-Michael Sullivan-