On 10:51 Mon 15 May     , Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> Can someone please point me to a reference that will show me now to
> configure my vixie cron to do a nightly emerge sync?
>
> I know it can be done, however I have not yet come up with the necessary
> instructions

Well, you'll be amazed by how easy it is to do it :)

Just log in as root and type 'crontab -e' to edit the crontab. There you
should have something like:
* * * * * emerge --sync

Each '*' represents a field, and they have the following order:
1) Minutes.
2) Hour.
3) Day of month.
4) Month.
5) Day of week.

More on this can be found on the Internet or by reading the man pages:
cron and crontab.