On 16 May 2006 11:51:50 -0500, Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"James Ausmus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 16 May 2006 11:11:18 -0500, Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Setup:
> > Athlon64 running 32bit Gentoo
> >
> > Running these use flags in make.conf:
> > [...]
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
> > USE="samba smb mysql symlinks kde qt dvd alsa cdr
> >   emacs xinerama mbox apache2 hal logrotate objc
> >   gcj sasl vmmouse wacom radeon tga vesa vga via
> >   vmware -ipv6 -imap -maildir  -gnome"
> >
> > I'm running an update world after about 2 mnths of not updating and
> > keep hitting a snag when glibc takes its turn out of the 164 updates
> > left.

> >  * glibc-2.4 is nptl-only!
> >
> > !!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3 failed.
> > Call stack:
> >   ebuild.sh, line 1543:   Called dyn_setup
> >   ebuild.sh, line 660:   Called pkg_setup
> >   glibc-2.4-r3.ebuild, line 1080:   Called die
> >
> > !!! please add USE='nptl nptlonly' to make.conf
> > [...]
> >
> > 1) So what does  powerpc have to do with my architecture anyway?
> >

> > Taking the hint from error output I added those flags and then ran:
> >
> > HOST:reader ~
> > root # USE="nptl nptlonly" emerge -vuD glibc
> >
> > Above command gets this error
> >
> > [...]
> > checking for sed... sed
> > checking version of sed... 4.1.4, ok
> > checking for autoconf... autoconf
> > checking whether autoconf works... yes
> > configure: error:
> > *** These critical programs are missing or too old: gcc
> > *** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
>
> My bet would be that the "or too old" bit is the important one - what
> version of gcc are you running, and what version does it want to
> install if you do an emerge -upv gcc?

I did try to cover that in my initial post but stating here:

> It says a critical program (gcc) is missing... What?
> I did check and am running the most recent version in portage.
> (which was synced just prior to running the update)

That said, running your suggested command did verify that this problem
runs in a circle:

 root # emerge -vuDp gcc

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3 [2.3.6-r3] USE="nls -build -glibc-omitfp
-hardened -nptl -nptlonly -profile" 0 kB

Note: No gcc is needed but it does want to (U) update to the very
glibc package that cries about gcc

OK, what does the output of gcc-config -l (ell) show you - what
version of gcc is currently being used? Did gcc get updated prior to
the glibc update attempt? If so, was env-update && source /etc/profile
run after the gcc update?

-James

So no relief there. Any other guesses would be most welcome.