On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:45:16 -0400
Willie Wong wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:06:09PM -0500, Penguin Lover Jeremy Olexa squawked:
> > Hello,
> > I am wondering how any of you limit transfer speeds on a specific
> > protocol. I do not need any server type applications for managing a
> > network, I just need a method to limit something like HTTP traffic or
> > SSH traffic on my box only so I don't use up our entire connection that
> > is shared with 4 other guys in the house. There is surprisingly little
> > information about doing this (that I could find).
>
> There once was a program in portage call net-misc/trickle, I used to use it
> for bittorrent downloads to throttle download speeds across multiple
> instances. It had not been updated since 2003 and so was dropped from
> portage (which is a shame, since it is probably the only program of
> its kind). Its home page is
>   http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle

That is a shame!

> Other than that, you probably would need to think about stuff like
> iproute2 with tcng... do a search on packages.gentoo.org for "traffic
> control" or "packet shaping".

some programs have rate limiting built in. You mentioned http traffic -
if you are downloading large files you can use

wget --limit-rate=10k http://big.server/large/file/you.want

Hard to see how you would max out a connection with ssh unless you are
transferring files via scp. This too has a rate limiter

-l limit
             Limits the used bandwidth, specified in Kbit/s.

(I didn't know that until i just looked it up!)