Jerry wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/shorewall #  shorewall start
Any particular reason why you're running that instead of /etc/init.d/shorewall start?

Shorewall has detected the following iptables/netfilter capabilities:
  NAT: Not available
  Packet Mangling: Available
  Multi-port Match: Not available
  Connection Tracking Match: Not available
  Packet Type Match: Not available
  Policy Match: Not available
  Physdev Match: Not available
  IP range Match: Not available
  Recent Match: Not available
  Owner Match: Not available
  Ipset Match: Not available
  CONNMARK Target: Not available
  Connmark Match: Not available
  Raw Table: Available
  CLASSIFY Target: Not available
Hmmm... looks like you're missing a few fairly necessary components. Might want to add a bit more to your iptables configuration in your kernel config, or have some fun with modprobe.

iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
ERROR: Command "/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT" Failed
This is caused by the line "Connection Tracking Match: Not available" - you need to build in to your kernel or modprobe the conntrack module.

Now I cannot connect to the internet through the modem nor ssh to the other computer. I was able to do both before running shorewall start.
shorewall clear    or    /etc/init.d/shorewall clear

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/shorewall #  /etc/init.d/iptables stop
* Saving iptables state ... [ ok ] * Stopping firewall ... [ ok ]
You don't need to have iptables running for shorewall to work (I know I don't).

delta ~ # /etc/init.d/shorewall status
 * status:  started
delta ~ # /etc/init.d/iptables status
 * status:  stopped