Benno Schulenberg wrote on 21/05/06 19:27:
>>smartmonctl -a /dev/hdb gives the results below, which looks bad
>>to me. I'd guess that my Hitachi second HD is heading for the
>>great /dev/null.
>>  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age
>>Always -       13573

> Drive has been ruuning for 13573 hours total.

>>Error 30 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3448 hours (143 days
>>Error 29 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3448 hours (143 days
>>Error 28 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3448 hours (143 days

> These errors occurred 10000 hours ago, 420 days.  Since then no
> errors were detected.  Drive is running fine, I would say.

Thank you very much for this information Benno, that's put my mind at
ease!  I was a bit concerned about the output from hdb as the
smartmonctl command output from my hda showed no errors at all.

I'm still backing the hdb disk up though, better safe than sorry - and
it's a nice NFS performance test too!

Cheers, Dave