On May 21, 2006, at 6:50 PM, JimD wrote:

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

Yes, the mini was upgraded a few months ago.  $599 gives you a 1.5ghz
Core Solo, 512mb, etc and $799 gives you a 1.66ghz Core Solo, 512mb,
                                                          ^^^^
That would be the Duo ;)

Yes, sorry.

etc.  You can go up to 2GB.  They have a mediocre intel inegrated
graphics of some sort (something 950) but for the price it is fine.

I ordered a refurb $1.66ghz Core Duo Mini for $699 and had a $200 Apple Store coupon from their Aperture price reduction rebate, so it ended up being $499. Can't complain about that. :-) (I plan on leaving OS X on it but you could probably run Linux on it as well. I have a Cocoa OS X
app I developed that I need to make run on Intel OS X)

Where can you find the refurbs?

Go to the Apple Store online and in the right most column about 2/3rds of the way down is a bright red sale tag that says "SAVE". Click on that :-)

That sounds like a very good deal.  Did
it come with a 5200 RPM SATA drive?

The specs page "Complete Specifications" as seen from the link for the mini below says that it has (the Duo) an 80gb 5400rpm SATA drive

I have one of those in my laptop
and they are pretty speedy.  Not as fast as my 7200 RPM SATA II, but
much, much better than the old 4200 IDE laptop drives.

<http://www.apple.com/macmini/>

Google should help you find folks running Linux on them and how they did
it.

best
Chad

Jim