On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 21:10 +0200, Jure Varlec wrote:
> On Sunday 21 May 2006 01:42, W.Kenworthy wrote:
>
> The modes which xorg null's out are the ones your hardware cannot support.
> Only now did I notice that your laptop's native resolution is 1366x768. That
> is 768 pixels vertical. You physically cannot have 1024 pixels. Yet you write
> that you managed to force it once. Are you sure that was it?
>
> Anyway, I don't think you can use such a mode on your laptop. Your projector
> should work fine of course, but without clone mode.
>
> Another possibility would be having 1280x1024 workspace, which should display
> properly on the projector, but using a lower resolution on the laptop, which
> should behave like zooming because the workspace is bigger. I don't know how
> to do this off the top of my head, but it should be in the man pages.
>
> Regards,
> Jure

The chipset is capable of it, as is the external monitor.  The external
monitor is an LCD which runs at 1280x1024 - its the internal laptop LCD
which appears to be the problem.  When I did have both screens running
in their proper modes, it was in two completely different desktops which
doesnt work when you are trying to give a presentation!  What I want is
the same desktop on both screens - looks like this is not possible.

I will investigate the viewport option, but I dont think that will help.

Billk