On Fri, 26 May 2006, Steven Susbauer wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to remove any dependencies on x11 from my headless server. Thanks
someone's help last week, I learned how to configure libdb to not use java,
which had dragged in the java IDE which dragged in x11.

That worked wonderfully, and I removed x11 and thought I was done.

As a sanity check, I checked to see what emerge world would do and was
surprised:

 # emerge -Duv --pretend --tree world

  [ebuild  N    ] x11-terms/xterm-207  -Xaw3d -doc -toolbar +truetype -unicode
  0  kB
  [nomerge      ]  sys-apps/utempter-0.5.5.6
  [nomerge      ]   app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r3
  [ebuild  N    ]    virtual/x11-6.8  0 kB
  [ebuild  N    ]     x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r7  -3dfx -3dnow +bitmap-fonts
  -cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc -font-server -insecure-drivers +ipv6
  -minimal
  -mmx +nls -nocxx +opengl +pam -sdk -sse -static +truetype-fonts +type1-fonts
  (-uclibc) -xprint +xv 0 kB
  [ebuild  N    ]      x11-base/opengl-update-3.0.0  0 kB
  [ebuild  N    ]      x11-apps/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r3  0 kB

How can I find out what is requiring x11-terms/xterm-207?

Thanks,
Michael

What are your use flags from /etc/make.conf and /usr/portage/package.use?
You have opengl as an enabled flag, for example, and that would pull in
xorg if something reacts to it (as libsdl does on my system).
--

I should have included that in my original email, of course:

$ grep USE  /etc/make.conf | grep -v "^#"
USE="berkdb innodb"

I have no /usr/portage/package.use

$ grep USE  /etc/make.profile/make.defaults
USE="alsa apm arts avi bitmap-fonts cups eds emboss encode fortran foomaticdb
gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod
motif mp3 mpeg ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pdflib png qt quicktime sdl spell
truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis X xml2 xmms xv"

AHA!

but the man page for emerge says not to edit /etc/make.profile/make.defaults.
How do I get X out of there? If in fact that's the cause of my problem?

Michael