On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:14 -0500, Peter Kelly wrote:
> Holas,
>
> Two days ago I updated the nvidia drivers, so I killed gdm and restarted xdm
> to reload the newer modules.
>
> Problem is, it looks like xdm never restarted.
>
> root ~ $ /etc/init.d/xdm status
>  * status:  stopping
>
> root ~ $ /etc/init.d/xdm stop
>  * ERROR:  xdm is already stopping.
>
> rc-status gives
> xdm            [ stopping ]
>
> Everything *seems* to work fine, but then there's that silly 'stopping'
> comment that doesn't google very well.  Anyone seen this, or have an idea?

dunno, maybe the init script got confused.  Maybe a module couldn't get
unloaded and there's a "please reboot" kernel message sitting somewhere
on one of your terminals (it happens :)

If init.d/xdm got confused, just `ps aux | grep gdm` to make sure it's
not there, `killall Xorg` if you like, and then: `/etc/init.d/xdm zap`
to bring it back in line.  Then try starting it again.

HTH,

I think that's easier to read.  Pardon me.  Less difficult to read.
             -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>