At Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:29:10 +0100 Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:48:21 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
>
>> > You'll need to add --update --deep to catch packages affected by the
>> > changed USE flags.
>>
>> no you have not:
>>
>> emerge -a --newuse world
>>
>> and I can't remember that this was different in the past.
>
> Yes it was. Adding --update pulled in extra packages, even though they
> were the same version as installed. This was somewhat counter-intuitive,
> so the new behaviour makes more sense. You should still need --deep
> though.

Which version of emerge/portage is being discussed?  I am running
portage-2.0.54-r2.  The man page for emerge suggests (but does not
state) that --update is still needed.

  --update (-u)

        Updates packages to the best version available, which may not
        always be the highest version number due to masking for
        testing and development.  This will also update direct
        dependencies which may not be what you want.  In general, use
        this option only in combination with the world or system
        target.

I also don't see an explicit mention that --newuse implies --update

  --newuse (-N)

        Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags
        have changed since compilation.  An asterisk marks when a USE
        flag has changed since the package was compiled.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and also a general thank you
for your high-quality contributions to the newsgroup.

allan