On Friday 02 June 2006 14:55, Mike Owen wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Apologies if this has been asked before.  I uninstalled my monolithic
> > KDE and am ready to install the split KDE ebuilds.  I want to install
> > everything except toys, games and educational packages.  Since the
> > DO_NOT_COMPILE is not meant to be used anymore, how would you suggest
> > I go about it?
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Mick
>
> Install kdebase-meta, kdeutils-meta, kdeadmin-meta, etc.

Forgive my own ignorance, but what is the advantage to doing this over
kdebase, kdeutils, kdeadmin, etc?

I've got plenty of disk space, so I never bothered moving away from the
monolithic builds.  emerge kde worked better for me than emerge kde-meta,
which brought in all the same binaries.  I know it's much faster to update a
particular package as opposed to kdepim (or kdenetwork, or kdemultimedia),
but that's not really an issue for me.

I really don't want to start a war, but I don't understand why the OP didn't
just
# emerge -C kdetoys kdegames kdeedu

(with any required version numbers) and be done with it.  Not having removed
kde packages, I'm not sure that would work.  But something along those lines
should have solved his problem.

Peter

--
  Our fathers ate manna in the desert,
  In the burning place where whirlwinds came.

    -- Songs of Gurney Halleck, Museum of Dar-es-Balat