At Sat, 03 Jun 2006 23:46:48 +0930 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Saturday, 3 June 2006 23:24, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> So this utmpter/libutmpter appears to be a special case where the
>> normal
>>
>>    unmerge A
>>    merge B
>>    merge A
>>
>> is wrong.
>>
>> thanks again,
>> allan
>
> I don't believe the procedure you mentioned has ever been normal. If packages
> block it usually indicates that a package is being replaced by another. An
> example is how shadow recently replaced pam-login.

"Normal" was a poor word choice.  It is sometimes done.  For example
when I googled "packages which cannot be installed" on the first page
I found

    GENTOO Tips
    When updating your system, the following error may occur: "Error: The
    above package list contains packages which cannot be installed on the
    same system." ...  ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~stanovic/gentoo.html - 3k - Cached
    - Similar pages

Following the link gave

    When updating your system, the following error may occur: "Error: The
    above package list contains packages which cannot be installed on the
    same system."

    * In order to overcome this error, it is probably best to first
      run emerge with the --ask argument. This will give you the
      package that wishes to be installed and the package that is
      blocking it. First unmerge the blocking package, then emerge the
      package that wished to be installed. Finally emerge the package
      that you initially unmerged.

I would think that the idea is that merging B (which is new or
updated) changed the system so that A can now be remerged.  For
example perhaps the updated B has changed DEPEND and/or PROVIDE.

allan