On 6/7/06, Roy Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> I'm watching this topic with curiosity, I have switched to ~x86
> recently and after it all (and a few debugging) I have all my packages
> testing now, but have not switched to the new GCC for fear of things
> breaking beyound my knowledge on how to fix it. So, if people start
> replying saying things are stable with the new GCC I might switch to
> it completely and wait a few days before the "emerge -e system &&
> emerge -e world" completes.

I was running stable with a lot of testing unmasked.  Then upgraded
to gcc-4.1.1 with an immediate emerge -s && emerge -e, which went
mostly smooth.

Then decided to go ~x86 for the system.  That is where the pain was,
particularly expat which caused most of kde/gnome to need to be
upgraded.  Unfortunately a lot of the tools to do the rebuild also
depended on expat.  So it was update a few packages, rebuild a tool,
update a few more packages, ...  Lesson learned is when upgrading
to expat-2, immediately take the hours needed to do the
revdep-rebuild (in all honesty, I didn't see the ewarn message
because I was upgrading 448 packages).  It really would have been
nice if the expat-2 emerge package died after giving the instructions
to revdep-rebuild...

So far (5 days) the system has been real nice, no problems.  KDE
appears (subjective) faster (with USE=kdehiddenvisibility).  So +1 on
upgrading a ~x86 to gcc-4.1.1.

For those considering stable to testing, the main changes are
pam-logon/shadow (unmerge pam-logon), coldplug/udev (unmerge
coldplug), expat (revdep-rebuild), ocaml (dependent packages must
be manually rebuilt afterwards).

That is some precious info. I'll remember that when switching next week, thanks.
I will not have much problems with dependencies/blocks and stuff
because I already switched the whole tree to ~x86, masking some
blocks, so, now it is just a matter of recompiling stuff. Anyway, If I
switch, do the emerge -e system and world and eventually stop, nothing
will (in theory) be broken as long as I mantain compatibility
libraries right? I'll switch from 3.4.5 to 4.1, dunno if there were
substancial changes like when switching from 3.3 to 3.4. Anyway, gotta
read the gcc upgrade guide again.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil