On 6/8/06, Jesse Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> It doesn't die.  And it usually doesn't do it when I'm around, but when I
> come
> back to my system in the morning there are usually 200 or so crash dialogs
> waiting for me, all indicating the application suffered a SIGFPE (floating
> point error?).  But it keeps on working anyway.
>
> Am I alone with this?
>
> ++ kevin

Probably not, depends on the version of KAlarm that you're using. But more
likely than anything else is that something didn't quite compile right when
you were emerging whatever KAlarm's parent package (kdepim?) is. I've had
that happen with other things such as xine-lib, and I've discovered that if
something keeps crashing re-emerging it (or its parent package, in KAlarm's
case) usually fixes the problem. And, a SIGFPE is the sort of thing that a
build problem would be the cause of.

General rule of thumb: If it crashes, rebuild it. :D

--
Jesse Hannah

That sounds like really good advice, so I investigated a bit.  There indeed
seems some sort of conflict between kdepim and kalarm.  There's something
familiar about the pattern of "blocking" I saw with "emerge -pe kalarm kdepim"
that made me try unmerging both of them first .  I'm doing a new emerge
--oneshot now.   Wish me luck.  Maybe my list of alarms will survive?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD