On Sunday 11 June 2006 09:35, Jason A. Booth wrote:

> > First of all, you should start a new thread when you have a new
> > question.
>
>  ctrl-alt-f(123456) dono worky so good -- doesn't qualify?

you did not start a new thread, you captured on.
Don't click on reply and change subject/text, click on new mail!

> > I'm probably being a hypocrite, just because I don't know
>
> I'll tell ya then: yep
>
> > how to break/change the thread-ID in Thunderbird without creating an
> > entirely new mail.  But, it's not proper "net-iquette" to reply to
> > someone else's message with a /completely/ new topic without creating
> > a new thread.
>
> well i don't see=(view) it that way, i see a totally new thread.. maybe i
> do need schooling in kmail

I am using kmail. And you took over the thread. In the future, click on new
mail if you want to start a new thread.

> > That being said, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I
> > haven't been able to switch terminals as you suggest once X and a
> > window manager (like KDE or Gnome) is up and running.  Don't know if
> > it's because of X, or KDE, or GDM, or whatever.  But, you're not
> > alone.  ;-)
>
> well then it's not only unacceptable to me then

Have you checked your xorg.conf and kdmrc?
You can turn it of in xorg.conf and maybe in kdmrc. Have you done etc-update?

   Option "DontVTSwitch"  "boolean"
              This  disallows  the  use  of the Ctrl+Alt+Fn sequence (where Fn
              refers to one of the numbered function keys).  That sequence  is
              normally used to switch to another "virtual terminal" on operat-
              ing systems  that  have  this  feature.   When  this  option  is
              enabled,  that key sequence has no special meaning and is passed
              to clients.  Default: off.